Wednesday 3 July 2013

July 2, 2013



A Few of my Favorite Things


The simplest things can hold meaning far beyond what they seem. Sometimes, to me, things hold a special significance because in my everyday scheduled regularity, I forget to stop and sniff those proverbial roses of life. Sometimes it is their very simplicity that makes them so amazing. Sometimes - hey, let's face it - they are miraculous God-given gifts to treasure.


As I begin my glorious summer holidays, I thought more about favorite things and how writing about them engraves them on my heart. If you'd like to follow my journey, you are welcome.

Sprinkles and Sunshine


Yesterday morning I sat on the front step, my palms sharing a mug of steamy java, and just watched. Yes, there were maroon geraniums and cream roses blooming, vines climbing the trellis valiantly and brilliant purple blossoms exploding. Certainly, robins chirped and crows cawed. Indeed, neighbors strolled by and vehicles passed. None of this was as lovely as cascading diamonds falling in arcs onto the grass. You see, I was watering. Well, to be honest, there's a timer, and I no longer have to haul a hose around and set the rotating spigot. Many times I recall soaking myself much more than the lawn in the process of adjusting that sprinkler. No, not now. Now I can just watch.


Partly it's the knowledge that I have a small hand in providing for the needs of these plants, thousands of them, really, and assist our Creator God in sustaining life. This is a beautiful thing. Perhaps it's a responsibility.

It is also the sound of the water droplets - the kish, kish, kish as it rotates in a lovely pattern. There are gentle crashes as the spray patterns collide in surprise. Leaves of trees and bushes catch the drops of life and share them generously with the thirsty soil who truly needs it most. If we were all so generous.

Mainly, though, the beauty of this scene is in what is seen. Spray catches the light and a rainbow appears, changes, disappears, and is clear again. As one path crosses that of another, an ultra fine misty spray swirls against the bright blueness of the summer sky. Chandeliers are continually created to fall gently to earth. How could I not watch and appreciate the simple beauty of sprinklers and sunshine?

I'm so thankful it's summer, and I can take the time for this simple yet favorite thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment