Wednesday 17 July 2013

Summer Flowers

As I walked today, I was blessed, again, by the delicate beauty of flowers. Blaze orange tiger lilies trumpet next to whispers of baby's breath. Trellises are thick with deep purple clematis blooms. Sunflowers, as tall as I, already, turn their sun seeking yellow faces. Brilliant red geraniums bloom, and bloom again. Delicate purple bells ring silent praises to their Creator.

Yes, storms have come. Hail has come many times. Some of these flowers are survivors where neighboring plants could not stand the onslaught. The sunflower's hand-sized leaves are riddled with holes, looking as though they'd been in a gunfight. Yes, sometimes I forgot to water them. The hardy ones survive nonetheless. Fortunately, many survived, and grew all the more.

We, too, grow and can bloom. We can bring so much color and joy to the world. Even in silence, we can witness to our great Creator. Tough times can make us stronger. The stresses of life, for the strong, with roots deep and faces toward heaven, need not bring us down.

Today, as I walk, or drive, or just gaze out the window, I am thankful for the simple beauty of flowers, and they teach me to bloom where I'm planted.


No comments:

Post a Comment