Tuesday 30 July 2013

Taiko Drum

       Music

There is power in music. The power lies beyond what simple words can convey; it's a deeper element, the way an ocean is so much more than its surface.

Song has been part of every day of my life, and I'm sure of it. A certain alto and tenor pair in my childhood home sang often. Together and alone, they harmonized in song, whistled or hummed. Several pianists, with whom I was fortunate to share that home, regaled us with solo performances and duets. My church values music, and I'm so honoured to be part of a worship team, with a congregation who loves to sing. I've sung in two to eight-part harmony choirs since I was ten, and have enjoyed singing with my husband for 28 years. Children in our home can be heard breaking into song along with us, or sharing beautiful music with flute, guitar, trombone, saxophone, various percussion, and occasionally, touching that piano for which we paid for many lessons. It's not their favourite. We've learned to accept that.

Music excites, makes the heart race, encourages praise or perhaps gets you moving to a great walking or working pace that makes the time fly.

It soothes, with harmony and tradition of songs long sung, with soaring dissonance and resolution which can bring tears, or take them away.

Memory is triggered by music, so it even helps us learn.

A song can bring people together;  we know this, we can enjoy this shared memory.

This is a video of my percussion kid in a World Drumming group. Thankfully, there's no Japanese Taiko drum in the house (yet), and I may have to reread this to help recall why, when she's whaling away on a drum set, I love music.


Lord, thank you for the gift of music in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment